Sri Lanka –Buddha and Beach
THE TOUR AT THE GLANCE
Explore Dambulla Rock Temple, discover the ancient city of Polonnaruwa and visit iconic Sigiriya Rock. Sip on refreshing Ceylon tea and see Sri Lanka's famous wildlife on a jeep safari in Udawalawe National Park before heading to the idyllic beaches of Bentota for some sun, sea and relaxation.
EXPERIENCES AND VISITS IN THIS TOUR JOURNEY
- Explore the remarkable ruins of the ancient capital city of Ceylon in Polonnaruwa
- Discover over 150 images of Buddha in the incredible complex of caves at Dambulla Rock Temple
- Learn all about Sri Lanka's herbs and spices at the spice gardens in Matale
- Spend a night in this highland community, referred to as 'Little England', surrounded by Central Sri Lanka's
picturesque tea country hills
- Take a scenic train ride from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, passing waterfalls and lush tea plantations en route
- Giragama Tea Factory - Take a tour of a working tea factory with a long history
- Enjoy a guided tour of the city including the Old Fort area and impressive Gangaramaya Temple
- Climb to the top of the iconic 5th century Lion Rock fortress and see the Heavenly Maidens
- Canoe to the village and help cook a delicious traditional lunch with a Sri Lankan family in Kayanwala Village
- Take in the highlights of Kandy including the famous Temple of the Tooth, enjoy a tuk tuk ride and watch a cultural performance
- Visit the heart of the nation's gem mining industry in Ratnapura
- Go in search of wildlife on a game drive in Udawalawe, home to the nation's largest herd of Asian Elephants in Udawalawe National Park
- Enjoy four days of R&R on the idyllic palm fringed beaches of Sri Lanka's West Coast in Beruwala
VIEW FULL ITINERARY
Arrive Colombo-the capital of Sri Lanka, after completing immigration and custom formalities,
Welcome to Sri Lanka! Airport arrival transfer and the remainder of today is at leisure. Our hotel is located on the seafront and is a short walk from Galle Road and many of the city highlights. Choose to head out and independently explore, take a dip in the pool or enjoy a cocktail whilst you watch the sunset over the Laccodive Sea.
Today, travel by road to Dambulla, arrive and check in at Hotel
Dambulla. Bidding farewell to Colombo this morning we drive inland to Dambulla, stopping en route at a fruit and vegetable market in Naramwela Town. Dambulla Rock Temple is an incredible ancient complex of caves which dates back to the 1st Century BC. The five caves contain over 150 images of Buddha including an impressive 14 metre carved statue.
In the afternoon you will excursión to (70 Kms, oneway) exploring this ancient site, we continue to Polonnaruwa. This fascinating 11th century city is home to many interesting ruins and famous monuments including the Royal Palace and the Gal Vihara. Polonnaruwa was once the capital and is also the second most ancient city in Sri Lanka. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This evening, we return to Dambulla for an evening at leisure
Today, morning you will explore Sigiriya and the famous ‘Lion Rock’ fortress. Built over 1500 years ago, this beautiful citadel stands 200 meters high in the middle of verdant jungle and was an important stronghold of the 70 hectare fortified town. It can be viewed from miles around and is definitely one of Sri Lanka’s most iconic and famous sites. You’ll be able to view the world famous paintings of the Heavenly Maidens which stand in a sheltered pocket of the rock approached by a spiral stairway.
From Sigiriya, we take a bullock cart ride and short canoe trip to the village of Kayanwala. Here, at Kayanwala Village we take part in a cookery demonstration in a mud brick home of a local woman and enjoy a freshly prepared lunch of curry, dahl, spiced rice, pickle and more.
En route to Kandy, stop at a spice garden in Matale to see the different herbs and spices, which Sri Lanka is famous for. visit Organic herb and spice garden in Matale. Spice Garden “You will see many spice like Cinnamon, Cardamom, Pepper Creepers and all other spice trees, plants and creepers are planted for visitors to see them. You will be introduced to different spices and shown how some of these spices are grown and processed.
Today, this morning, take a sightseeing tour of Kandy - the last capital of the Sri Lankan kings and our first stop will be the Temple of the Tooth Relic. Legend has it that one of Buddha's teeth was taken from him as he lay on his funeral pyre. It was then smuggled into Sri Lanka in 313AD. It now attracts daily pilgrims who come bearing lotus flowers and frangipani. After driving around Kandy Lake - built by the last Sinhala king, we visit the local bazaar and a gem museum, we then take Tuk Tuk ride up into the surrounding hills. This afternoon we stop at the Geragama Tea Factory, manufacturing 'Low Grown' and 'Long Leaf' tea.
This evening, we watch a cultural performance of traditional Sri Lankan music and dance.
Today, This morning offers free time, before transferring to the railway station for a scenic train trip. Passing kilometre upon kilometre of verdant tea plantations that hug the winding mountain passes, we'll see waterfalls, suspension bridges and tea pickers on our journey up to Nuwara Eliya - Sri Lanka’s most popular hill resort. Nuwara Eliya is also the heart of Sri Lanka’s tea country producing a significant share of the world’s best tea. You can visit the Strawberry Farms & pick some strawberries.
Upon arrival we embark on a sightseeing tour of Nuwara Eliya - an area known locally as 'Little England'. You can take a nice evening walk around the Gregory Lake. Visit the beautiful club house and British colonial style bungalows.
Note, Sunday Tea pluckers on Leave
Today, you will head south to Embilipitiya, our base for exploring Udawalawe National Park. Upon arrival check in at Hotel.
Enjoy an afternoon game drive at Udawalawe National Park - is probably one of the best places to spot the famous Sri Lankan elephant, the biggest of all the Asian elephants in the wild. It is thought that there are around 400 elephants here. The park is also home to the elusive leopard, the Sri Lankan sloth bear, the cheeky langur monkey and varies types of deer.
Today, early breakfast, travel by road to Beruwala, Enroute visit Galle -Sri Lanka’s most historically interesting town is Galle. It was a major port until about 100 years, Walk around the lighthouse and harbor or visit the old town where you can see the traditional lace makers and wood carvers and purchase some the finest souvenirs. The Dutch Fort - The South Coast’s major city is Galle, whose oldest landmark is the massive Portuguese and Dutch Fort, which is a “World Heritage Site” in which the central city is contained. Continue drive to Beruwala and check in at Hotel
Three Days –on beach activities
Sri Lanka's beautiful palm fringed beaches are without a doubt its biggest draw cards, and once you set eyes on them you’ll understand . Nestled on the Indian Ocean coast with warm crystal clear waters, Beruwala and the neighbouring town of Bentota offer travellers a whole host of water sports from snorkelling and scuba diving, to water skiing and surfing – the choice if yours. Indulge in a glass of Toddy – a local coconut flavoured tipple, head to the spa and opt for an Ayurveda treatment which the area is famous for, or simply while away the days on the beach with a cocktail in hand.
Today, drive to Negombo, on the way visit Colombo city tour visiting the Gangarama Temple, Old Parliament, Viharamahadevi Park, National Museum and Galle Face Green, a drive through the city taking you to the busy commercial areas as well as the tree-lined residential, Cinnamon Gardens. Visit Fort, the former British administrative center and military garrison, Sea Street - the Goldsmith’s quarters in the heart of Pettah, the Bazaar area, where is also a Hindu Temple with elaborate stone carvings and the Dutch Church of Wolfendhal dating back to 1749. The historic Dawatagaha Mosque and the former Eye Hospital are two buildings in Cinnamon Gardens worth looking at. Free time for shopping activities / Tuk tuk ride in Colombo. Upon arrival in Negombo and check in at Hotel
Later visit Fishing village, thousands of fisherman who actively take part in fishing on a daily basis, dried & preserved using indigenous technologies. Dutch Canal Boat Ride, It is used to serve as a supply to the Dutch administration along with the Old Churches and fishing villages during the Dutch rule and. Walk to the local market .
Later in time transfer to Colombo airport to board international for onward flight
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE IN YOUR TOUR COST
- Accommodation for total 11 nights on Bed & Breakfast basis.
- All meals at Udawalawe National park
- Transfers, sightseeing and excursions as per the program by air-conditioned Vehicle.
- English speaking Chauffeur guide as per program.
- All entrance fees to the monuments as mentioned in the program.
- Fishing Village Walking tour in Negombo.
- Boat ride on Dutch Canal in Negombo.
- Jeep safari to visit Udawalawe National Park
- Witness Kandyan Cultural Dance in Kandy.
- Enjoy the Ayurveda massage at Spice Garden in Matale. (Optional)
- Scenic Railway journey from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya on Observation Seat.
- Company representative for assistance on all arrival and departure transfers.
- All presently applicable taxes including the GST charges levied recently by the Government.
- Mineral water during sightseeing and excursion
TOUR COST WILL NOT INCLUDE FOLLOWING EXPENSES
- International Airfare / Departure taxes
- Visa fees
- Any new admission fees / taxes / fuel surcharges
- Meals not mentioned
- All personal expenses such as beverages, laundry, trip cancellation and personal insurance
- Early check-in/late check-out (except as noted)
- Camera/video fees at monuments
- Excess baggage fees
- Communication costs
- Any additional expenses due to unforeseen problems like natural disaster, war or strikes, cancellation or
- misconnection of flights or last-minute change of timings etc.
- Any other items not specified
World Escapes India Pvt. Ltd. is a travel company launched in 2013 and run by passionate tourism professionals, committed to design innovative products which suits to the budget of all type of travelers. It is a dream of young professional having a collective experience of more than three decades in different areas of travel & airline Industry.Read More..
- Plot no 36, Mohit Nagar, Sector 15 (Near NSIT) Dwarka, New Delhi -110078